Welcome friends!!!

We are so glad you stopped by to share our blog. We love life and each other immensely. As much as we want to be with everyone at once it is just impossible, at least until they finalize that cloning stuff (jk). So this is a way for us to keep in touch with you and for you guys to share things with us. Do not be shy. We love to hear from friends new and old (especially if it has been a while). Let's chat, let's catch up, let's reconnect.

We wish you only the very best,
Kimani, Datnee, Nehemiah, Kimberlee, Daniel, and Naomi Smith

Sunday, March 24, 2013

USCG Graduate (Cape May, NJ)

Last Friday my nephew graduated from the United States Coast Guard. We are so proud of him. He made it through boot camp. We have had some really cold weather up here in Jersey the past few weeks so I am quite sure it wasn't easy for this Florida boy. I tried to write him once a week to keep him encouraged. I missed only one week - and the week of graduation I didn't send one out because I knew I'd see him. I was quite proud of myself for accomplishing that goal. Sometimes life gets busy and I don't get to do as above and beyond as I'd like, but this time I actually did it. Go Titi!

I knew the ceremony would be quick and my favorite part was when the cadets received their completion diplomas. Many of them had family members in one of the military branches and would be presented the certificate by those people. I thought that was beautiful, but the real surprise to me came when I saw my niece, his sister, getting ready to present him with his diploma when it was his turn. She is a corrections officer and was also in full gear. I teared up. I had no idea she would be doing that in his ceremony. Wow! What a way to share the moment with those you love most.

I was so proud of them for making such great career choices, but I was also super proud of my brother and sister in law. They have done such a great job with those kids. I look forward to learning a lesson or two in parenting from them. They definitely have proven results in their approach. No one is perfect and no two kids are alike, but it is good to glean the things you can from those who have succeeded around you.

Congratulations Mikel! The future is bright before you. Keep trekking ahead.

Love you!



No comments: